European Union Citizens : Stays in Spain Longer than 3 Months
Society & Culture in Spain & Portugal

SearchIberia | Articles on your website | Write an article 

Last Updated: Jun 20th, 2007 - 05:23:07 

Search Iberia Articles 
Apartments & Villas
Arts & Entertainment
Business & Economy
Hotels & Hostels
Language Learning
Regions & Cities
Society & Culture
Tours & Excursions
Travel & Transportation
Trip Reports

Society & Culture
European Union Citizens : Stays in Spain Longer than 3 Months
By Diane McGlone
May 7, 2007, 10:39

Email this article
 Printer friendly page

Royal Decree 240/2007 which is a transposition of European Directive 2004/38/EC to Spanish legislation and was approved on 16 February 2007 by the Spanish Council of Ministers, establishes that from 28 March 2007, European Union citizens will no longer be issued with plastic residence cards.

However, the new decree now requires ALL EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for continuous periods of more than 3 months to register in person at the Foreigners' Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in their province of residence or at designated National Police stations.

As well as new arrivals, this affects those who were previously exempt from having a residence card - as under the 2004 legislation if they were legally employed or self employed they were not obliged to apply for a card. Those people now DO need to register.

Those EU citizens in Spain who already have in date residence cards will not need to re-register until their residence card expires, at which time they will be issued with one of the new certificates.

Applications must be submitted within 3 months of the date of the person's entry into Spain, (or within 3 months of the
legislation coming into force if the person was already resident in Spain). They will be immediately issued with a green paper certificate of registration which will show, the name, nationality, address of the registered person, their Foreigners Identity Number (NIE) and the date of the registration to prove they have been included on the Central Register of Foreigners.

Together with the official application form for inclusion on the register, they must present:

- a valid and in date passport or national identity
document. (In the event that said document has expired, they must provide a copy of their application to renew it)

- They must have previously paid the appropriate fee in
a bank (as indicated in the current scale of charges for supplying official documentation - as at May 2007 this is 6.70 euros, but check as this may be subject to change)

- They need to provide proof of date of entry into Spain
(for existing residents this will be their old residencia issue date or the date they were initially entered on their local town hall "Padron" ) and proof of their current address.

- Although the new certificate does not reproduce a
photograph, applicants still have to provide one photo for the police station to keep with the copy of the application. (these requirements are being enforced in Tenerife in the Canary islands- please note there may be
provincial differences as to the EXACT documents required so check with your local Comisaría)

As well as the above documents dependant children
under 16 must show their birth certificate (duly apostled and translated into Spanish if necessary). Proof that their parent(s) has a registration certificate, and proof that
they reside with that parent(s)

Non EC nationals married to EC Nationals must provide all of the above as well as a marriage certificate (apostled and
translated into Spanish if necessary) and proof that they live with the EC national at the address at which he/she is registered. (Nationals of certain countries who are spouses
of EC nationals can not make their application at Police stations, but only at the Oficina de extranjeros by appointment.

You should always seek advice concerning your particular circumstances and take a translator with you if necessary as the civil servants concerned are not obliged to speak English

There is usually a help desk at the Police Station - but if you don't have at least some Spanish you may struggle.

For further information, contact Diane McGlone

© Copyright 2007 by & Diane McGlone

Top of Page

Society & Culture
Latest Articles
Integrating in Spain - Easier Not To?
Las Fallas of Valencia
Affordable Ways to Stay Connected with Friends & Family While in Spain
(Re)location – the art of moving abroad
America's Cup 2007 in Valencia
European Union Citizens : Stays in Spain Longer than 3 Months
Relocation to Spain
Reduce Crime Through Neighbourhood Watch in Spain
Spanish School is Good For Your Kids!
Water Wisdom